Communication is the key to any kind of interaction. Communication is the process of exchanging ideas, knowledge, feelings, etc, effectively with an individual. Communication is also one of the major soft skills to develop and grow if you’re an IT professional.
As a techie, to progress as a leader one of the key soft skills you require to drive your team is effective communication. To understand your peers and deliver innovative tasks some of the good communication skills you can excel in are:
1. Listening skills
- Listening skills are one of the essential elements for communication as they help in getting information, to understand a thing or concept, to enjoy your life, to learn new things, etc.
- Active listening will help you focus on relevant information avoiding distractions and preconceptions about any topics.
- Active listening improves critical thinking with increased knowledge which in turn leads to creative ideas and innovation.
- Active listening will make you pay attention to the speaker and help in building the rapport you need to gather information and knowledge from your peers.
- Be attentive while listening and pay attention to the tone and body language.
- Keeping eye contact when the other person speaks is vital.
- You’re well-spoken when you express thoughts in the form of speech and words.
- Good spoken communicationwillhelp in quality communication leading to professional development.
- Effective communication can be developed by reading, presentation and practice.
- Talking during the time of conflicts, critical issues and important situations acts as a key factor to moderate a situation.
- While speaking keep a check on your body language, facial expressions, eye contact, etc. making it easier for your audience to understand the message.
3. Inculcate the Habit of Visualizing and Presenting Your Thoughts
- As a professional, you will have to make a number of presentations, data plans, team plans etc.
- To effectively communicate with the team and others, it is highly recommended that you work on your visual and presentation skills.
- By using visual skills and framing your content, data or any other topic of discussion innovatively you will be able to capture your audience as well as throw light on the matter in hand.
- Therefore, as a professional it’s a must to hone digital presentation skills.
Tip: You Can Sign-up for Professional Presentation, Data Visualization or Microsoft PowerPoint Classes Online to Acquire This Skillset.
4. Be Emotionally Aware and Empathize
- Having emotional awareness will help you in having a successful conversation.
- Consider and control your emotions like you see for others while communicating to not let it get in between your message.
- Having empathy will help you to relate with other’s feelings and in turn reflect in having good communication skills.
- When in times of misunderstanding, have patience and regulate your emotions according to the environment.
- Having the ability to regulate emotions helps in delivering difficult or negative messages resulting in effective and clear communication.
5. Writing Skills
- Good writing will seize the reader’s attention making it clearer to understand the concept or idea.
- Writing skills boost your confidence resulting in confident communication benefiting your career.
- To improve your writing, take up a professional writing course or practice regular writing.
Inculcating and keeping a check on these soft skills is vital. Become a quality professional by working on your skills sets. It’s never too late to implement any skills, so workat it and live a content life.
1. Why are some Important communication skills?
Answer: Communication skills are essential and portraying yourself as a good communicator will improve your interaction skills with others and people will be able to understand exactly the concept which you want to convey at the same time.
2. How to develop constructive feedback?
Answer: To give constructive feedback, you need to understand the situation and the environment. State what you feel is important and avoid giving destructive feedback. Understand the other person’s feeling and see his/her reaction. While giving feedback, ask for a response and be ready to accept the criticism. Summarize all the feedback and see to it that while some ideas are left for discussion, it could be a misunderstanding for both the communicator and the receiver. Summarizing helps in ensuring the communication is efficient making the feedback a constructive one.