As per reports, around 280 million people in the world have depression. While mental illness is prevalent in society today, people are also becoming self-aware. Most people try to take care of themselves and their loved ones by valuing mental wellness.
Despite a caring atmosphere, a few people may suffer in silence due to the stigma attached. According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration (SAMHSA), about 63% of patients diagnosed with depression tend to undergo any mental illness treatment. So, what about the others?
In such situations, a solution that solves the problem for a mass audience is a boon. AI is one such boon in the field of mental health. The future of artificial intelligence in the healthcare industry, especially in the mental illness field, seems promising. With the application of AI, experts can observe patterns and detect depression and anxiety. Thus, helping and improving lives for the better!
How Can AI Systems Diagnose Depression?
Thanks to technology, a number of apps and devices now can almost accurately monitor and record sleeping patterns, social activities, eating habits, fluctuation in heartbeats or anything that describes one’s lifestyle and its overall consequences on any individual’s health.
Machine learning technology works with loaded data, where it adapts as per the data input. So, when the AI application is fed with a certain kind of data from an average human and observes any alteration in the system from the patient, it automatically detects an anomaly.
Benefits of AI In the Detection of Mental Health Disorders
The inclusion of AI in the mental health sector is promising. Some of the key benefits of AI in detecting mental health issues are:
- Easy accessibility – Top AI application for mental illness becomes a convenient task in diagnosis. Mental health apps are available anytime, so the user doesn’t have to go through any hassle with accessibility anytime.
- Increased responsiveness – Many mental health apps are programmed to collect data continuously, which in turn increases engagement. This improves the responses of the apps to real-time problems or relevant questions.
- Evaluating patient progress – AI also helps professionals monitor the treatments and improvement of their patients. It keeps track of the progress and will help the medical practitioner decide on future medication.
- Maintaining privacy – The personal data of every individual will be confidential on these AI apps. Thus, patients don’t have to worry about their personal information getting leaked.
- Social Stigma won’t be an issue – In places where mental health is a taboo or a social stigma, these artificial intelligence apps play a dynamic role. Patients don’t have to worry about beating the odds to seek mental therapy, as everything is just a click away. Thus, breaking a social barrier.
5 Best Mental Health Apps in 2022
In this way, artificial intelligence, with the help of machine learning, can truly aid in diagnosing depression or any other type of mental disorder.
Also, to create a safe space for any stress or mental discomfort, the best apps to use are:
Mental health is just as important as physical health for a person to be happy and healthy. Don’t neglect your mental well-being. Take appropriate measures to maintain your mental health. Artificial intelligence in the mental health sector is a viable approach that can save millions of lives. However, no apps or technology can completely replace a medical practitioner. Therefore, even though these technologies are available to detect mental health issues, always get therapy from a psychiatrist or a licenced counsellor. Take care!
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can we utilise AI in mental health?
One good example of artificial intelligence in diagnosing mental illness is the implementation of NLP – Natural Language Processing. According to Springer Nature, NLP facilitates massive textual data analysis, maintenance and several tasks like data extraction, sentiment analysis, emotion recognition, and mental health monitoring. As a result, medical practitioners can use NLP approaches to proactively discover early signs of mental disease to enable rapid recognition, prevention, and medication.
- Are mental health apps effective? Name some good apps for anxiety.
Yes, mental health apps are highly efficient in tracking our mood swings, reporting our sleep patterns and monitoring our emotional well-being. Best apps for anxiety are-