When it concerns job prospects in computer science or information technology, cybersecurity offers a significant source of opportunities. Cyber security involves securing systems, data, and the network from cyber-attack. To penetrate the encountered challenges, a job in cyber security needs a varied set of skills and core domain knowledge. If you are someone looking for a career in cyber security but not sure about the skills and eligibility, this article will come in handy!
Soft skills required for cyber security
- Problem-solving skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Open to learning new things as the sector is constantly evolving
- Attentive with confidential and sensitive data
- Excellent communication skills and good at networking
- Research and logical reasoning
Technical skills you learn from a cyber security course
Ethical hacking is the practice of identifying threats and risks in the system, application, or network that any malicious activities can exploit. It involves legal hacking into the network seeking vulnerabilities to avoid security breaches or digital threats.
Computer Forensic Skills
Computer forensic involves gathering data from the system and network, serving as proof in the crime scene.
Cloud security refers to the methods to protect Cloud resources from cyber-attack.
Artificial intelligence is the assimilation of human intelligence within the computer system. It will help in evaluating and comprehending corporate security.
Cyber security utilizes machine learning to evaluate fluctuating activities within the system. It is used to respond against the potential threat from the cyber-attack.
IoT devices are the appliances connected to the internet, such as smartphones, tablets, laptops, printers, etc. IoT Security focuses on shielding these appliances from the hazards happening online and affecting the system.
A blockchain is a series of ‘digital blocks’ meant to secure online transactions. The blocks are linked to each other, making it complicated for the hacker to interfere.
Additional technical skills include good computer knowledge and programming skills.
Who are eligible for the cyber security courses?
Cyber security is an evolving as well as a flexible field. You have cleared the first step if you are ready to learn and grasp the skills and knowledge. Further, the eligibility criteria involve:
- For an undergraduate program in cyber security: 10+2 in the science domain
- For a post-graduate program in cyber security: 10+2+3 years undergraduate program or 10+2+4 years of undergraduate program
- Certification courses are available online and offline
- An added advantage for students from information technology and computer science background.
Additional certifications for an enhanced opportunity in cyber security:
- Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP)
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
Today, cyber security is in a growing need of every entity. However, despite the increased demand, there is a lack of qualified experts in the field, and this will become a plus point- no competition. So if you are interested, this field is worth your investment!